Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Big Picture: Who’s To Blame?

It’s a horrible scene to remember the Philippines as after the hostage-taking scheme. But it is exaggerated and conceited to define the Filipinos as barbaric people and soulless, heartless, cold-blooded murderers. The hostage-taking is another lesson to guide the future, not another trigger to start World War III.

Having easy access to the internet, I was updated with the opinions of different people regarding the hostage-taking drama at Quirino Grandstand last August 23rd, 2010. It was a unforgettable scene for many and a tragic memory to be recorded into the Philippine history and people’s journal’s everyday. Things like this can happen anywhere, why can’t we just expect for the better and accept the schemes that happened and move on?

Through watching the news, listening to opinions and observing reactions, I have come to realize what I stand for.

On the side of the Chinese, I understand their reactions towards this incident. Yes, their countrymen got killed. Eight lives were taken! But, with all due respect, look back – I don’t remember the Filipinos declaring war when hundreds of children died due to the toxic chemicals mixed with the toys they made. I don’t remember the Filipinos hating the Chinese after the disaster that happened to many Filipinos who got killed because of the toxic chemicals in the factory. I can’t recall the Filipinos discriminating the whole race of the Chinese when Melamine killed not only Filipinos but also other races. A mistake one person made stays with only one. I am not giving the blame to them now. I am just showing them how the Filipinos understood no matter how awful they took lives, for them to see that not all Filipinos are the same. We are of the same race, but we are all not the same people.

Some Filipinos are now ashamed and disgusted with their own race. I think this is exaggerated. Why? They couldn’t do anything about it, anyway. They’re already born Filipinos. In my opinion, acting like this just proves more to the Chinese that we are what they say we are. Guilt is okay to be felt, but totally denying your own race? That’s discriminating who you are. Coming to think of it, I love being a Filipino. For what reason? Because I actually know that a real Filipino is righteous, open-minded and understanding. Even right now, I am proud still to be a Filipino – but I am disappointed they even consider themselves Filipinos.

My point is, not that I am defending Rolando Mendoza, but why put all the blame on him? Because he started it? But it already happened and he doesn’t have all the faults, right? How about Mayor Alfredo Lim? He gave out unclear orders. Why not blame the head of the Police and S.W.A.T. Team? He sent the unprepared and unprofessional men. Why not blame the hostages for going wild and hysterical, not co-operating with Mendoza? That’s another scene, by the way. Were there any cameras in the bus? How did the media know that it was really Mendoza who killed the hostages? What if it was the exchanging of bullets by the police and Mendoza that killed the hostages? What your eyes can’t see can be easily manipulated with lies. Why not blame the media for triggering Mendoza’s anger? Why did they have to air live how Mendoza’s brother was dragged like a pig inhumanly? What were they up to?

In my mind right now, I am assuming that someone wanted this scheme to happen, however. I am not only referring to Mr. Rolando Mendoza.

No comments:

Post a Comment